Is it possible to be defeated by a stamp set? It was surely happening with this project. I decided to tackle a four step stamp, yes, this innocent looking hummingbird. I took a photo of my study series, or my path of frustration to say the least.
I am much more used to sitting down, getting out whatever I want, and having it turn out pretty darn amazing. This was not to be the case. However, if I was to come across 3-D glasses, I might have had more fun. My first two attempts obviously were poor color choices. The hummingbird I had in mind was not going to come together.
I changed to monochromatic thinking that might help. It did some, and I improved, but was still unhappy. Keeping this guy all lined up, even being able to see through the stamp, was proving harder than anticipated. I switched to water color paper and played some more. I gave it one more try, with elegant eggplant, night of navy, gold, and black stazon.
Stamp one was in elegant eggplant, stamp two in gold (the little neck), stamp three was done in night of navy, and the final stamp (which included the beak) was done in black stazon. I got to work with my aqua painter for the background wash, in soft sky, and then added coloring to the bird. It got out of control fairly quick and I thought I was done for sure. I was being so careful, so I thought. I ended up putting a thick layer of paper towels over the image to seep up the crazy color mess. When I peeled it away I got a little hope, it didn’t look so impossible.
When I had finished I fell in love with it. I am not sure if I could duplicate it, because of all of the water color layering effects, but I won’t be scared to try. It is such a pretty image and I love it in water color. Especially with the gold ink and the wink of stella added in.
Have a creative day!